Thursday, July 27, 2006

Birthday Boy's Creation: Chocolate Cake, Toffee Frosting, and Banana Ice Cream!

Mmmm…I just love birthdays! I love to celebrate my own and I love celebrating others, especially since I get an excuse to bake!! Each year my mom always has to make for each member of my family our ‘favorite’ cake…Now, I love my bf and all, but he isn’t one to have ‘favorite’ dessert type things, which is okay, I can deal with that, at least it allows me variety. Last year I made him a homemade chocolate cake with chocolate frosting and homemade mint chocolate chip ice cream. The cake turned out delicious, but due to a crappy freezer the frozen core of my ice cream maker didn’t get cold enough to freeze the ice cream. Oh well, at least that refrigerator eventually died and now my bf has a nice new one with a good better freezer...anyways, back to this year…when I asked my boyfriend what kind of cake he wanted, I think half joking he suggested chocolate cake with toffee frosting and banana ice cream. Since I love all three of those flavors and like making things that aren’t the same the same old thing, I replied with an enthusiastic "sure"! And I’m so glad I did since the results turned out fabulous!

For the chocolate cake, I used the recipe of the back of the Hershey’s cocoa box, which can also be found on their web site. My mom and I both swear by this chocolate cake recipe. It is only a couple steps more than using a box mix and the results are absolutely amazing. It is so moist, a little dense, and very rich and chocolaty. I love that step when you add a cup of boiling water to the batter and a delicious chocolaty smell rises up from the mixing bowl. Ohhh…super yum!

I wasn’t sure what to do for the toffee frosting, but I did a quick search on Google and came across this recipe. It didn’t really appeal to me at first since Cool Whip isn’t exactly one of my favorite things. However I know that bf loves it (and it is HIS birthday after all). Also, I thought that it would balance the richness of the banana ice cream much better than a more traditional butter cream frosting.

For the banana ice cream, I used a recipe out of my favorite ice cream recipe book. While usually I like to experiment trying to make a low fat version, I really wanted to go for some real ice cream this time (okay I admit I did substitute 2% milk for the half and half but still I did actually use real cream). The recipe it turned out so good it actually makes me want to give up on my quest for the perfect low fat recipe. The bananas I used were super ripe and it was almost too sweet. Good thing the cake was so rich! The combination of these three parts worked in perfect harmony to create an amazing dessert. The richness of the chocolate cake, the cool creaminess of the ice cream and light fluffy frosting all complemented each other very well. I can’t wait till next year to make whatever delicious combination my bf comes up with then.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home