Monday, May 15, 2006

Recipe: Cafe au Lait Frozen Yogurt

This past weekend I made another attempt at frozen yogurt. I have only made frozen yogurt a couple times and have never been overly thrilled the results since I find it to be too tangy (or 'yogurty' tasting as I like to say). I was really excited to try this recipe since it used cornstarch and 1/4 c. of mini marshmallows, which I have never used in an ice cream recipe before. Plus, I was excited about using the Wallaby’s vanilla bean flavored yogurt, which isn’t too tangy. I think the cornstarch and the marshmallows did help since the frozen yogurt had a really nice thick and smooth consistency. Unfortunately, the wallaby’s yogurt didn’t help much with the tanginess and it still had a strong yogurt flavor. Oh well, luckily I like yogurt, so even though it doesn't taste like regular 'frozen yogurt' it was still yummy. The recipe called for instant coffee which I normally don't really care. I used a brand of instant espresso which I have used for baking before and it gave the yogurt a super delicious almost caramel like coffee flavor. I served the frozen yogurt as soon as it was done with a couple of twice baked butterscotch cookies from Trader Joes (they are like mini biscotti) and a dollop of cool whip...super yum! The frozen yogurt didn’t really freeze that well and the next night tasted kind of like a tangy coffee popsicle. Overall it wasn’t that bad but I don’t think I would make this recipe again. Update 3/17- I just had that vanilla bean yogurt for breakfast and it wasn't nearly as 'mild' tasting as I remembered...maybe it wasn't the best choice for the recipe. Following some recommendations I found on other sites, in my next frozen yogurt attempt I am going to try using Fage greek yogurt.

Cafe au Lait Frozen Yogurt

2/3 c. sugar
1/2 tsp cornstarch
1 1/4 c. milk
1 T instant coffee (I actually use instant espresso)
1 egg
1/4 c. mini marshmallows
1/2 tsp vanilla
1 1/2 c vanilla bean yogurt (I used 2 6oz servings)

In 1-2 quart pot, combine sugar and cornstarch. Add milk and coffee and bring the mixture to a simmer. Beat the egg in a medium bowl and slowly add about half of the milk/sugar mixture to the egg and beat together. Beat in the egg mixture to the remaining milk in the pot and return to the stove over a low heat. Cook for about 5 minutes more until thickened. Remove from heat and stir in the marshmallows untill they are fully disolved. Allow mixture to cool. Stir in the vanilla and yogurt and refrigerate for at least a couple hours. Freeze in ice cream maker and enjoy (well, sort of...)


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home